HistorySumner Community Hospital's deep roots in Wellington, Kansas, stretch back to 1910, with the establishment of St. Luke's Hospital, operated by the Episcopal Church.
St. Luke's had its own nursing school and living quarters for its nursing students, and took care of its Wellington neighbors. In 1920, management of the hospital was taken over by non-profit groups and local citizens; then, in 1925, management was assumed by a Board of Trustees elected by the people of Wellington. At that time, St Luke's became a municipal hospital, and a new and larger facility was built on the site to replace the original medical center.
In 1994, St. Luke's merged with another area hospital, Wellington Hospital, to become Sumner Community Hospital. At that time, it was agreed that a larger medical office building was needed to accommodate the needs of the new doctors who became part of SRMC following the merger. The new office space was built in 1995.
Sumner Community Hospital Today
Sumner Regional Medical Center is now Sumner Community Hospital. Sumner Community Hospital is a 63 bed hospital located in South Central Kansas, offering advanced imaging capabilities, general surgery, laboratory services, geriatric behavioral health, residential care, short-term rehab, and variety of other inpatient and outpatient hospital services.